Amplify: 3rd Annual Cycle 66 in Downtown Edmond on Nov. 5
Organizers are expecting 1,000 riders.
Cycle 66 Presented by Mercy will welcome riders from across the nation at 8 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 5. The tag line “Cycle 66 is for everyone,” means all ages can participate in any of the rides and the FREE surrounding festivities. Celebration 66, the finish line festival, will offer a bounce house, shopping, dining and fun that anyone — no matter age or whether they cycle — can enjoy. Riders can register online for $45 at www.cycle66ok.com. Youth 12 and under can participate in the 10-mile route for $10. The 1-mile kids’ route is free, but registration is required.
The urban and rural bicycling tour and festival along historic Route 66, beginning and ending in downtown Edmond near Frenzy Brewing Co. has been three years in the making. In 2022, Cycle 66 featured four different routes and a crit race and enjoyed 823 registrations from across eleven different states, up from 550 riders in 2021. Gabriel Taylor and his wife Desiree from Oklahoma City rode 66 miles in the past two years. “My favorite part of Cycle 66 is the camaraderie and fellowship,” said Taylor.
Cycle 66 is partnering with Velo Club, a local cycling non-profit, to offer a Criterium again this year. Amateur athletes will race on a closed course in downtown Edmond. The high-speed races will occur from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. in conjunction with the 10-, 33- and 66-mile distance routes, culminating in a shared finish line. The Crit is free for spectators. Bill Senn, from Bentonville, Arkansas, has traveled to Edmond since Cycle 66 began. “It has become a fun tradition for me,” said Senn. “We load up and look forward to cycling past Route 66 attractions and feel safe and supported by local police.” Micah Stone owns The Bike Shop in Enid. He said lots of his customers drive to Edmond to ride Cycle 66. “I plan to make the trip this year because I’ve never rode my bike on Route 66!” said Stone.
Cycle 66 offers a ride for everyone, from amateurs to competitors. All four routes and the Crit will be fully supported with plentiful support and gear, relief wagons, signage, rest stops, first aid stations and critical traffic control.
● 1-Mile Kids’ Route: Kids of all ages are welcome to join Cycle 66 on its 1-mile Kids’ Route. Training wheels, tricycles and strollers are welcome! We encourage kids to decorate their rides-of-choice and come ready for fun.
● 10-Mile Route: Join us on a 10-mlle tour and experience a spin through Oklahoma Christian’s campus before heading back to Downtown Edmond for a finish down Broadway. You will get back In plenty of time to experience the Crit and Celebration 66!
● 33-Mile Intermediate Route: Your experience on the 33-mile route will take you on a not-so-hilly tour toward Downtown OKC. You will ride past museums and onto OK’s Katy Trail – a safe and tranquil spin before turning back north past the state capitol to Edmond
● 66-Mile Advanced Route: On this hilly adventure, you’ll experience the most elevation gain on our routes to date. See Arcadia, Luther, Jones, Spencer and the Katy Trail In OKC prior to returning to Edmond. This one, while tough, will be a beautiful Sunday pedal through Central Oklahoma and around Route 66.
● The Crit @ Cycle 66: Cycle 66 is partnering with OKC Velo, a local cycling non-profit, to offer a Criterium. Amateur athletes will race on a closed course in downtown Edmond. The high-speed races will occur throughout the day in conjunction with the Cycle 66 fondo routes, culminating in a shared finish line. The Crit is free for spectators.
Cycle 66 is governed by Cycle 66, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and is proud to support Oklahoma Route 66 Association Bike Club and Velo Cycling Club with proceeds from the 2023 event. Visit www.cycle66ok.com and follow #cycle66 and @cycle66OK on Facebook and Instagram for all information and updates.